Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Tuesday 10 July 2012

The Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon

And I realised that my youngest son Sam is a true grown up and a gentleman! It hasn't really sunk in yet but..... The weather was kind beyond belief. We arrived on Friday night expecting thunder storms, torrential rain and gales but were greeted with an overcast calm evening. When Sam and I woke up on Saturday morning to a clear view of the Wasdale horseshoe bathed in sunshine I was hugely relieved. I hadn't been at all sure about introducing Sam to the fells at their worst with no visibility and gales! I don't think anyone's under any illusions about my current state of fitness; that I'm a bit out of shape and somewhat off form at the moment. So it may come as a surprise that Sam and I managed a very respectable result of 11th out of about 120 teams. So how did we do it? Well, we ran everything we could run, chose good routes and lines, and managed to navigate and make route choice decisions quickly. Maybe next year with more fitness and maybe a bit less weight on our backs we'll be able to creep up the list a little further. We're certainly going to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment